List:       freenet-chat
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-chat] Mentions of Freenet
From:       "Iain Buchanan" <ijb99 () doc ! ic ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-08-31 6:51:35

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Schneiders" <marc@schneiders.org>
To: <freenet-chat@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 11:39 PM
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Marcel Popescu wrote:
> > http://www.free-market.net/spotlight/iproperty/
> That is a very nice piece, thanks. It made me wonder how long before
> the music (etc) industry will succeed in putting a 'tax' on internet
> traffic, like they got on tapes and CD-R's (well in Europe in any
> case).  Of course that is much easier earned than making records,
> movies etc. They now make money even when I use a CD-R to copy or
> store what I made myself or is not copyrighted.
I saw an article recently about Internet 2 (sp? caps? hyphens?) which
apparently
is being tested over ridiculously high bandwidth connections for streaming
video and
sending technical data around the world from university to university.  I
think there was
an article about remote control of a large telescope too, sending all the
data back to the
researchers who could be on the other side of the world.  Perhaps if this
sort of thing
starts to become commonplace then the percentage of traffic which is MP3s
and
(inevitably) pirated DVDs will become insignficant - a situation similar to
the music
industry demanding a tax on standard telephone calls as music can be
transferred over
them.  Hopefully it will look so ridiculous that they won't manage it.

Iain