List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    Re: Dimming a laptop's backlight when idle
From:       Adam Jackson <ajax () nwnk ! net>
Date:       2006-02-19 0:29:19

On Friday 03 February 2006 08:45, Aaron Stone wrote:
> I'd say it's model-specific; some manufacturers are consistent across
> models and some aren't. No different than chipset vendors.
>
> Does anybody know if X.org 7.x is going to start using dbus and/or hal?
> That would change the infrastructure need into a need for well defined
> messages that some external agent can respond to in a hardware-specific
> way.

I'm slowly becoming convinced that feeding the X server its configuration over
dbus is in fact the right design strategy.

Of course I still expect an explosion of configuration data as we find out how
to discover backlight controls and how to hook them up to the GPU driver or
the server core itself, but I suppose I'd be more concerned about that once
we had any backlight control at all.  Getting it working would be a
delightful first step.

- ajax