List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: Fatal warnings in client code
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-03-07 4:38:54

On Monday, 6 March 2023 19:57:11 PST Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> It seems to me, the whole concept of D-Bus is unsuited to applications
> which require long-lived connections with some degree of state that
> persists over their lifetime. It is best suited to individual
> request-response transactions. That way, you can recover from any loss
> of connection just by trying the transaction again (hopefully).

How long-lived do you need those connections to be? I don't usually run my
laptop too long without rebooting (rolling distro, kernel upgrades), but
sometimes I can go up to a full month. No connections break. On servers,
connections to systemd via D-Bus can last years.

There's no problem with the length of the connection. Just don't send invalid
messages that will get you kicked out of the bus. That hasn't been a problem
for 16 years.