List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: about the D-Bus C API.
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2007-11-13 17:01:22

Hi,

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Tuesday 13 November 2007 17:39:18 Havoc Pennington escreveu:
>> IIRC signals can set the destination, in which case they'd be sent to
>> that destination without a match rule.
>
> This is actually something I was made aware of a month ago or so.
>
> Signals can specify a destination. That seems wrong to me, if a signal is
> supposed to be a broadcast.

I think it's a reasonably common pattern to have "clients" that register
with some "server," in that case having the server send client-specific
signals seems OK to me; otherwise the client would end up registering a
callback object with the server. The callback object pattern is fine
too, but in some cases the signal seems useful.

I don't know if anyone is using this feature or not, though.

When I've talked about having a new C binding library, support for this
"register client with server" pattern is one thing I wanted to have in
it. I don't know if "directed signals" would fit in to an API like that
or not, but it might be an interesting thing to look at.

Havoc