List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: routing troubles
From:       Tony Landells <ahl () austclear ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-04-30 23:20:36

kevinm@cco.net said:
> I did use natd  and  ipfw.  From the Windows box (192.168.1.101) I can
> ping the inside ip of the FreeBSD box (192.168.1.100) and the outside
> ip of the FreeBSD box (209.102.16.38) but I can't ping the router
> (209.102.16.33) or any other ip address beyond the

> router.

Well, if you can ping the outside address of the FreeBSD box, I'm
assuming that the Windows box has the correct default gateway set
(as in, the internal address of the FreeBSD box)?

But if you can't get any further, I'm betting on a natd/ipfw problem.

For a start, run natd (from the command prompt) with the "-v" option
which will show you all the packets it processes.  If you don't get
any output, you're not giving the packets to natd for translation.
If you do get output but it's not changing anything, then natd is
misconfigured.

The other thing worth doing is putting a "log" option on every ipfw
rule that denies packets.  That way, if you're doing something you
want to allow and you're getting log messages you know you have ipfw
misconfigured.  Once you have things working properly you can always
remove the "log" option to reduce the disk space required for logging.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319