List:       freebsd-mobile
Subject:    Re: FreeBSD-6 fails to install on too many old laptops.
From:       "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs () berklix ! org>
Date:       2007-06-17 16:50:08

> Could you & others please look at list
> 	http://berklix.org/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
> Which of those & other options should I add to "bootsafekey" in
> 	/usr/src/sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th
> to help a "Safe" boot ?
> Then I'll send-pr a diff to extend chance of other older laptops booting.
> & will roll new floppies(*) & put up for ftp; (no prob, done releases before).

If any replied privately to me between maybe Sat 14:00 & Sun Jun
17 18:10 CEST 2007, please resend as I lost mail (my typo. in .procmailrc).

I did earlier get a private reply from Tuc at Beach House

But there was no next in thread on:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=20493+0+archive/2007/freebsd-mobile/20070617.freebsd-mobile

I want to make a diff & send-pr it, but advice needed please, what
should one leave on & off for a maximum chance of a slow safe boot
of old legacy hardware.  Please correct my notes extracted from
here, Thanks: http://berklix.org/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
---------------------------------

Things That May Help Force Old Machines To Boot / Install
    * boot_verbose="yes"
    * verbose_loading="yes"
    * debug.bootverbose=1
    * hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" # set to boot with acpi disabled. \
Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST  Above is set by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * loader.acpi_disabled_by_user=1 # Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Above is set by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hint.apm.0.disabled="1" # found on host=fire with kenv. \
                Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
    * hint.apic.0.disabled="1" # set to boot in safe mode Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Above set by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hw.ata.ata_dma=0 # ATA disk DMA mode control Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      needed by Dell Latitude XPi P133ST says
      Ian Freilich , 07.10.2004
      Above referenced by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 # ATAPI device DMA mode control Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Above referenced by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hw.ata.wc=0 # ATA disk write caching Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Above referenced by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hw.eisa_slots=0 # Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Above referenced by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1
      Above is referenced by forth/beastie.4th:bootsafekey
    * hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0 # use if boot hangs after AGP
    * hw.pcic.ignore_pci=1 # ignore pci cardbus bridges Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
    * hw.pcic.intr_path="1" # Needed by host=lapa Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Normally interrupts for cardbus bridges are routed over the PCI bus (2). \
However, some laptops will hang when using PCI interrupts due to bugs in this code. \
Those bugs can be worked around by forcing ISA interrupts (1). Warner wrote: \
                Libretto-50 and Libretto-70 machines have only ISA PCMCIA bridges
    * hw.pcic.irq="0" # Needed by host=lapa Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
      Override IRQ configured by system for all pcic devices
    * hw.pcic.pd6729_intr_path
      Determine interrupt path or method for Cirrus Logic PD6729 and similar I/O \
space based pcmcia bridge. Chips on a PCI expansion card need a value of 2, while \
chips installed in a laptop need a value of 1 (which is also the default). This is \
similar to hw.pcic.intr_path, but separate so that it can default to ISA when \
                intr_path defaults to PCI.
    * hw.pcic.ti12xx_enable_pci_clock
      Some TI-12xx parts need to have the PCI clock enabled. These designs do not \
provide a clock themselves. Most of the reference boards have the required oscillator \
                parts, so the number of machines that needs this to be set is \
                vanishingly small.
    * machdep.bios.pci=disable # Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
    * machdep.bios.pnp=disable # Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
    * machdep.pccard.pcic_irq="0" # PCCARD controller IRQ (0=polled) \
                Dell_Latitude_XPi_P133ST
    * machdep.pccard.pcic_irq=11

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
 HTML mail unseen. Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.