List:       freebsd-i18n
Subject:    Re: Proposal to include iconv library in the base system.
From:       Garrett Wollman <wollman () khavrinen ! lcs ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2000-09-16 19:48:41

<<On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:36:15 +0100, Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk> said:

> Then I have an architectural question: Is it
> safe/flexible/platform-independent to use mmap for reading the CCS
> tables?  What is used in kernel for mapping files into memory?

The kernel uses the same internal functions in execve() as in mmap().
However, you probably don't want to do that.

Hmmm.  Unfortunately, kldload(2) does not support the same sort of
interface as the loader does in terms of loading things which are not
executable data.  Ideally, that would be the solution, and the same
mechanisms would work for both pre-loaded and run-time-loaded
character sets and encodings.

Here's a thought for something which might be possible once we have
character-set support in the kernel....

# stty iso-8859-1

-GAWollman