List:       freebsd-i18n
Subject:    Current state of I18N and FreeBSD? [was Re: Proposal to include
From:       "Michael C. Wu" <keichii () peorth ! iteration ! net>
Date:       2000-09-16 19:46:15

I propose that I18N developers of each locale/language post to -i18n and
state the current state of I18N in their respective locale/language.

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Chas2K wrote:
> "Michael C . Wu" wrote:
> > P.S.#2: Does anyone know if Linux has a counterpart of ICONV?
> >         Perhaps we should propose a standard.
> I am not certain yet as to what technique or tools used, but you can
> check out the results at http://cle.linux.org.tw/ to see an

I am from Taiwan and know the CLE people rather well. :)
In fact, I talk to the CLE Mandrake maintainer on irc often.

> implementation of Chinese in Mandrake-Linux, which is touted as an
> internationalized Linux. I have installed this and would like to find

Mandrake CLE is a repackaging of the standard CLE.
The standard CLE is based on Redhat, so you might want to try
an ftp install of CLE Redhat from ftp.linux.org.tw. :)

> time to investigate and see if the various components of CLE (Chinese
> Linux Extentions)can be translated or just plain fork lifted onto
> FreeBSD.

We cannot do so, since they are GPL'ed.

> This Mandrake Linux is version 7.0, and according to my wife and niece
> who are from Taiwan, it is BIG5 Chinese all the way through.

Yes, me too. :)
cle.linux.org.tw, xcin.linux.org.tw, and freebsd.sinica.edu.tw are all
closely tied. :)

Perhaps we should showcase Chinese'ified FreeBSD for your wife and
niece. :)
The following screenshots all done on the following machine:
FreeBSD recursive.pgplabs.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Sun Sep
10 21:12:44 CDT 2000
keichii@recursive.iteration.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/RECURSIVE  i386
RELENG_4 and RELENG_3 all do almost exactly the same things.

Of course, we support Chinese in console, too.

The Japanese I18N of FreeBSD/Linux is the best compared to any other
language besides English.  Their degree of I18N is much higher than
what's shown in the following screenshots.

http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/gnome.png
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/gnome2.png
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/gnome3.png
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/netscape.png
Good Job! Keith :)
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/gnomeicu.png
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/pretty_xemacs.png
http://www.iteration.net/~keichii/fancyindex/scrnshot_20000916.png

That's about as much I18N and customization of my system as I can do.
KDE2, as I heard, can do as much as GNOME+E/Sawfish can.

What remains in FreeBSD to be done are the basesystem supports.