List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: ONTOPIC - FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT - Not a bunch of licence Jihad crap
From:       "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy () home ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 0:23:48

> Uuuuh, I'm gonna have to agree with Murray that there is a complete
> dearth of free software for Windows.  Go search shareware.com, or
> Tucows, or any of the other Windows-centric software sites, and just
> TRY to find most of the same tools or applications you take for
> granted on your Unix box.  I do all the time, and wished to hell I was
> managing thousands of BSD boxes instead of Windows.  The free software
> either doesn't exist, is of very poor quality, or you have to pay for
> it.  While "free as in beer" software for Windows is fairly prevalent,
> GOOD free software is quite rare, and open-sourced software for
> Windows is very rare indeed.

He said, the "amount of free software".  He didn't say the amount of free
GOOD software, the amount of useful applications, etc.  He said AMOUNT of
FREE software.  He didn't say the AMOUNT of OPEN SOURCE software.  Saying
that there is more _free software_ for FreeBSD than there is for Windows is
insane.  If you're talking about how useful it is, or whether it's open
source, you need to specify those things.  But anyone worth their salt would
choke on the general statement, "there is more free software for FreeBSD
than there is for Windows".