List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: -STABLE+vinum+smp+softupdates+CVSup(local CVS repo)==corruption?
From:       Greg Lehey <grog () lemis ! com>
Date:       2000-12-28 23:40:29

On Thursday, 28 December 2000 at 14:03:31 +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 05:30:09PM -0500, David E. Cross wrote:
>> I have run across a problem since updating to -STABLE a week or so ago...
>> my CVS vinum partition would go corrupt after a few updates.  I have been
>> running with no softupdates on my system for a day now and no problems.
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Is that with vinum raid 5?  If so there are know problems with raid 5
> and you should either help Greg to fix them or avoid raid 5 like the
> plague lest your data corrupts itself.

I can't recall any data corruption.  The problems you were seeing were
panics where buffer headers got corrupted, and they happened to a very
small number of people (not including myself, which makes it difficult
to catch them).  I think I might have a solution there.  It's
currently being tested in -CURRENT, but before that I'd like to find
somebody who can reproduce the original problem.  I certainly don't
think it's a reason to avoid RAID-5, like the plague or otherwise.

You'll notice that David's problem has nothing to do with that, nor
with Vinum at all, it would seem:

On Thursday, 28 December 2000 at 11:52:03 -0500, David E. Cross wrote:
> No, I am just using vinum stripes.  The problem seems to have fixed itself
> when I got a ufs_readwrite.c update from Matt after it was committed.
>
> This is an interesting problem, since I am not entirely sure what
> fixed it, if it is really fixed, etc...

Indeed.  Was this just the CVS repo?

Greg