List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Problems with onboard Adaptec 7870 on Intel ALTServer motherboard...
From:       Tom Samplonius <tom () sdf ! com>
Date:       1997-06-30 16:52:05

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Freeman P. Pascal IV wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with 2.2.1-RELEASE on an Intel ALTServer
> motherboard.  The system installed fine, but it randomly generates
> SCSI timeouts that hang the controller and the system.
>
> I've read in the freebsd-questions archive that the fix was to move
> up to 2.1-STABLE.  I assume that the fixes would also be in
> 2.2.1-RELEASE.

  You should move to 2.2-stable, or even 2.2.2-RELEASE.  Both 2.1-stable
and 2.2-stable have the same ahc driver.

  The SCSI timeout problem is drive related.  I used to use an ancient
version of the ahc driver for nearly a year of continous operation (209
days of uptime) without any problems, before one of the drives started to
timeout and hang the system.  I upgraded the ahc driver, and now the drive
still times out, but it no longer hangs the system.

Tom