List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Documentation for PAS16 SCSI adapter
From:       Michael Smith <msmith () atrad ! adelaide ! edu ! au>
Date:       1997-06-30 16:42:02

Jeffrey M. Metcalf stands accused of saying:

> I am writing to ask if there is any kind soul reading this
> mailing list who knows how I can get my hands on documentation
> for the SCSI adapter on a ProAudioStudio sound card.  The
> adapter is buggy in that writing to my SCSI Zip 100 drive
> results in corrupted files.  The author of the device driver
> according to the FreeBSD source code has not responded to any
> of my questions.  Media Vision is discontinuing all support
> for the card as of today and charges $20.00 just to ask them
> about how I can get documentation.

The PAS16 uses (IIRC) the NCR 53c400, which is a derivative of the
53c80.  Datasheets for both these parts should be available from your
local NCR/Symbios Logic parts supplier.  There is also sample driver
code available for these parts from the ncr ftp site.

The 53c80 is a fairly ancient, but well-understood SCSI controller.
It may be of benefit to you to study the NetBSD/sun3 sources for the
'si' driver and possibly other NetBSD 53c80 drivers in order to hunt
for possible differences in handling.

It should be possible to glean enough implementation-specific
information from the existing driver, as it wouldn't work at all if
that was fundamentally wrong.  You may also want to spend some time
mapping out the PCB traces on the PAS16 if you don't trust this.