List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    RE: hackers-digest V1 #1337 (pppd and PAP)
From:       Michael Ryan <mike () NetworX ! ie>
Date:       1996-07-29 19:10:20

Darius said:

>thanks for your reply, but it does NOT work.

It does not work for you; it DOES work for me.

>I want to connect a Linux-box-2.x using PAP. Sorry if this was not clear
>in my mailing.

It was clear; I just wanted to know if you had gotten PAP working at all,
to anything...

I notice the following:

(a)	You use "auth".
	This means "require the peer to authenticate".
	You want to authenticate yourself to the peer,
	not the other way around.
(b)	You use "-pap".
	This means "don't agree to authenticate using PAP".
	But you *do* want to authenticate using PAP.
(c)	You use "+chap".
	This means "require the peer to authenticate using CHAP".
	See my comments for (a).
(d)	The peer wants to authenticate using CHAP regardless of
	what your ISP is saying.

Regards,
Mike
<mike@NetworX.ie>