List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Netscape Commerce Servers
From:       Mail Archive <archive () cps ! cmich ! edu>
Date:       1996-07-28 16:53:28

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Jim Dennis wrote:

> > > The BSDI commerce server runs (but didn't Netscape just drop BSDI
> > > so the can concentrate on the NT platform where Microsoft has
> > > already won?).
> > Well actually Netscape is dropping support for all non-threaded OS's for their
> > servers..
>
> > Matthew S. Bailey
>
> 	I was at a party hanging out with three or four of Netscape's
> 	developement team over the weekend -- I didn't get the impression
> 	that they were doing either of these things.
>
> 	Granted we chatted more about the client side and business
> 	model issues -- mostly about Java and JavaScript which is what this
> 	particularly crew are working on most.  I suggested that
> 	JavaScript (a.k.a. LiveScript take on one feature --
> 	that the <script> tag take attributes like:
>
> 	<script src="/path/to/script/file" ver="$required_script_parser_here">
> 		Things displayed to non script capable browsers go here.</p>.
> 		</script>
>
> 	(to get rid of that atrocious code-embedded-in-comments hack).
>
> 	(He said they'll look at it for version 4.x).
>
> 	So, Matthew, what's the source of your info?  I'd like to see
> 	more about this.

Sorry for such a late response work has been getting to me here :)

I got that information for the mirror mailing list (we were one of netscape
mirror sites) and from netscape sales about 3 months ago, however I called them
friday and asked the same question as before and what I gather is they have
done a total rewrite and support for non-threaded OS's is forthcomming but it
very slow.

Matthew S. Bailey
mbailey@cps.cmich.edu