List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Alternate lists for more verbose CVS commit messages?
From:       J Wunsch <j () uriah ! heep ! sax ! de>
Date:       1996-06-30 9:06:01

As Heikki Suonsivu wrote:

> I often would like to know more about problems certain commit might fix,
> and see what modifications were committed.  Could it be possible to create
> alternate commit lists which would receive detailed commit messages ?

You've already got a couple of answers, but just in case:

If you are subscribed to the various cvs-foo lists (or to cvs-all),
this _is_ already the detailed commit message.  It is as detailed as
the committer felt it should be.  You are, of course, free to pick it,
review the changes, and create an alternate catalog of "Heikki's
commented cvs commit messages". :-)

Sorry, the commit message itself should not replicate the entire code
that has been changed, it should _summarize_ the modifications, and
give some insight into the reasons the committer had to make this
change.  You are infact expected to review the source if this doesn't
suffice to you.

--
cheers, J"org