List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: a question about boot-manager
From:       Terry Lambert <terry () lambert ! org>
Date:       1996-01-31 21:09:00

> > We can take a survey and see how many of us have swap on slice 'b',
> > but since that is where the install tools put it, it's probably
> > 99.9% of us -- just like having "/" on slice 'a'.
>
> On my second drive, I don't have "/" on 'a', but instead of swap on it.
> I suspect that folks with multiple swap partitions (which I suspect is
> greater than 0.1% of the folks) don't follow the same guidelines.
>
> The above statements are generally relevant to the first disk used by
> FreeBSD, but after that it's a crap shoot.

Since this is a boot/install issue, anything other than the first disk
is really irrelevant to the discussion.

I'd wager that the majority of FreeBSD users are single disk.

On the systems I had problems on, the machines were *not* single disk,
yet fixing the location of the bad track table so the whole partition
desn't need to be below 1024 would have still solved my install
problems.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---