List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Motherboards for Ryzen 9 (was: ...)
From:       Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2023-11-13 6:27:02

On Monday, 13 November 2023 at  6:46:10 +0100, Daniel Engberg wrote:
> On 2023-11-13T00:22:31.000+01:00, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>  FWIW, I've just got a machine with this motherboard. It seemed the
>>  best option available to me at the time, and I haven't had any
>>  issues with it. Yes, the silly NIC (where do you find 2.5 Gb/s
>>  hubs?) is irritating, but I need 2 NICs anyway, so putting in a
>>  second wasn't an issue. I also couldn't find any motherboard that
>>  fitted the other requirements and didn't have this NIC.
>
> Nice! So the sata controller gets initialized correctly even on newer
> BIOS versions?

Oh.  I don't have any SATA devices, so I can't say for sure, but this
looks concerning:

  pcib19: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 13.0 on pci11
  pcib19: failed to allocate initial memory window: 0xfb200000-0xfb3fffff
  pci19: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib19
  ahci0: <AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xfb800000-0xfb8003ff at device 0.0 on pci19
  ahci0: AHCI controller reset failure
  device_attach: ahci0 attach returned 6

On the other hand, I also have:

  pcib21: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 13.0 on pci4
  pcib21: failed to allocate initial memory window: 0xfb800000-0xfb8fffff
  pci21: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib21
  ahci0: <AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xfbb00000-0xfbb003ff at device 0.0 on pci21
  ahci0: AHCI v1.31 with 6 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
  ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
  ahcich1: <AHCI channel> at channel 1 on ahci0
  ahcich2: <AHCI channel> at channel 2 on ahci0
  ahcich3: <AHCI channel> at channel 3 on ahci0

So at some later date, when I want to connect SATA drives, I may run
into issues.

> Does the Realtek NIC work ootb or do you need to use the driver in
> ports tree?

It doesn't work OOTB.  As I said, I have a second NIC, and that's what
I'm using.  I'm planning to try the Realtek NIC later, but currently
I'm trying to catch up on 10 years of main desktop configuration and
multiple monitors.  The old machine still works, so I'm planning to
take my time and "do it right", which could take weeks.

> 2.5G switches aren't that uncommon these days,

Thanks for the info.  The NIC also does 1000baseT, right?  Since this
is the only machine that's faster, it doesn't help much, so I'll use
1000baseT.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.