List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Comtrol RocketPort 550 uPCI, 16-port
From:       nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1 () mchsi ! com>
Date:       2007-09-29 14:32:47

Jeff Blank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed a 16-port RocketPort 550 uPCI (Comtrol part #
> 99211-0) and am getting a failure in device_attach:
>
> rp0: <RocketPort PCI> port 0xdc80-0xdcff,0xd800-0xd8ff mem \
>                 0xfcf00400-0xfcf0047f,0xfcf00000-0xfcf000ff irq 20 at device 8.0 on \
>                 pci1
> rp0: ioaddr mapping failed for RocketPort(PCI).
> device_attach: rp0 attach returned 6
>
> # pciconf -l -v
> [...]
> rp0@pci1:8:0:   class=0x028000 card=0x802211fe chip=0x802211fe rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> vendor   = 'Comtrol Corp'
> class    = network
>
> I've read an older thread from this list regarding a 32-port version
> of this card, and a device-id (0x08##) seemed to be available from the
> output of pciconf in that thread, but I'm not getting anything more
> than the above for my card.
>
> do I have any hope of getting this card to work under 6-STABLE?  (the
> server is running 6.2-RELEASE now, but I'd be happy to go to -STABLE
> to get it to work.)  what other information from me would be helpful?
>
> thanks much,
> Jeff

Jeff,
 Hi. First off, to get it out of the way, I work for Comtrol. This is a
Comtrol GMBH (used to be Comtrol UK, now Comtrol GMBH [Switzerland])
product. The two are separate companies now. Anyhow, if you have had
this card for less than 30 days, I would hi,ghly recommend returning it
to the distributor for a RocketPort uPCI 16 port card,  as this  is a
Comtrol  U.S. product and we have a 6.2 driver for our entire RocketPort
line. There is no problem with the 550 cards, but they have no FreeBSD
drivers at all, nor even a Linux 2.6 driver yet. I would just post a
link but we've been upgrading servers this past week and I won't have
the exact link until I get to work on Monday. I am the FreeBSD / Linux /
other Unices guy in tech support at Comtrol U.S. and I would definitely
like to extend an invitation for anyone who would like a copy of the
driver to email me at my work address nick dot thompson at comtrol dot
com, or to call Comtrol Tech Support and ask for Nick Thompson;
763-494-4100 is the number. Once I have the exact link, I will make sure
and get it into this thread.

Regards,

Nick

"All unix, all the time."