List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: C coding editor
From:       Terry Lambert <tlambert2 () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2003-02-28 20:38:15

David Cuthbert wrote:
> The n characters/line issue deals more with the ability to visually
> track the line.  If, for example, when you reach the end of the line you
> often find yourself accidentally reading the same line again, then the
> line is too wide.
>
> Or something to that effect.  I'm not an HCI expert, so...

I considered mentioning exactly the same thing (starting over on
the same line, instead of the next one) as an argument, and then
quoting Narvii and other HCI experts to back the idea up, but the
references I would have had to use were too obscure to be online.
8-) 8-).

> >>The 80 column limit can also encourage developers to keep their
> >>functions smaller and factor out common code.  (I say can, because I've
> >>seen the six-levels-of-indentation-loops sadly all too often...)
> >
> > Seems to have worked well for tcp_input().  8-) 8-).
>
> Heh... for every example where it works/is needed, I can find 10
> examples in our code at work where it definitely *isn't* needed. :-)

It's very easy to do that with your own code... ;^).

-- Terry