List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    RE: kern/40611 linux compatibility fix
From:       "Luoqi Chen" <lchen () briontech ! com>
Date:       2003-02-28 19:47:42

> Dear Hackers,
>
> Is there any chance that the patch given in kern/40611 could be
> committed to the 4-STABLE tree?  It has the desirable effect of making
> eg. the linux-sun-jdk14 port usable as a non-root user.  This would
> appear to my untutored eye to be a sub-set of the differences already
> existing between the HEAD and RELENG_4 versions of
> src/sys/posix4/p1003_1b.c
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH UK

I've a similar but more complete patch. It handles both get and set cases,
and also takes into account jailed environment. It should have identical
semantics to -current (except for the see_other_uids flag), at least at
the time when I created the patch. You may inspect the patch at
	http://people.freebsd.org/~luoqi/p1003_1b.diff

I didn't know there're so many people running linux apps under emulation.
I've a couple of other linux related patches for -stable, among them
backport of linux ptrace from -current, anyone interested?

-lq