List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: Something about ISA Server 2000...
From:       "David Henderson" <davesel () idzero ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-10-28 17:31:27

As far as clustering or resiliency goes, the ISA box can be configured as
part of an array for an enterprise solution and you can configure alternate
redundant paths to the outside world as well as sharing a common policy
across physical boxes.  It is a scalable solution in my mind.  Remember,
Nokia IPSO running Checkpoint FW1 or Cisco's PIX offer layer 3 control only,
whereas ISA gives you Layer3 (the firewall part) and layer 7 (the
application proxy part..).

With the price of hardware dropping all the time, a pair of ISA's in an
array bolstered by an HA pair of Nokia IPSO based machines at the outer
layer takes some beating.  You've got a fair bit of admin to take care of,
granted, but these days the budget for this type of defense can be
legitimately argued for.

It's been said, in Sales & Marketing circles, that 'IT security is an
enabler..'.  Its time we SysAdmins and NetAdmins start arguing for more
bucks to buy in the kit to protect the environments we treasure.

dh.

"The OSI doesn't have 7 layers.  It has 9.  Two of which are
hidden....politics and finance...."