List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] *-nightly-full.dmg missing on the nightlies page?
From:       wkitty42 () gmail ! com
Date:       2020-04-30 22:19:14

On 4/30/20 2:33 PM, James Turner wrote:

>> On 30 Apr 2020, at 18:56, wkitty42@gmail.com <mailto:wkitty42@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> it appears that *-nightly-full.dmg is missing on the nightlies page... only
>> the 52M dmg is available... some folks are needing the dmg with FGData...
>>
>> did something get broken?
>
> No I decided to reduce the load on the infrastructure by disabling the ‘full'
> build of nightlies. My logic was that if you care enough to run a nightly build,
> you should be okay with downloading FGData manually (from Git) - and it makes
> everything /much/ smaller for everyone.

i understand...

the problem, then, is that i don't even know what a mac looks like... much less
how to describe to someone on the forums running a mac how to pull FGData and
where to put it for the dmg install to find it... i can handle some linux and a
little windows these days but my methods are complete command line driven with
lots of google-fu thrown in for good measure...

so, how do we (TINW) tell someone exactly what steps to take to get FGData for
their mac nightlies? everything from what directory to make, where... how to
pull FGData into that directory and what to tell FG so it can find it...

> We're not fully committed to this approach, but it would avoid a lot of load of
> overhead on the Jenkins infrastructure, to assuming nightlies are ‘lite' rather
> than ‘full'.

i understand that, too... the thing is that some folks, when they have problems
with a version of FG they have downloaded, are being pointed to the nightlies to
see if the problem still exists in them... in this case, IIRC, the person is
coming from 2018.something forward and they removed everything they had so they
could start clean... and here we are...