List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Unmaintained aircraft in FGAddon, again
From:       "Edward d'Auvergne" <true.bugman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-27 14:25:23

On 10 September 2015 at 10:40, Edward d'Auvergne <true.bugman@gmail.com> wrote:
> The files in 787/EFB-DB/Third-Party also look suspicious, but that
> needs some cross-checking.  Maybe later I'll take the time to audit
> the complete commit history from the FGData/FGAddon branch point and
> identify any other violations.

Hi,

I have finally checked through the 787-8 commits of the Omega hangar
for GPLv2+ compatibility (
https://github.com/omega95-aircraft/fg-boeing-787-8.git ).  It was
quite an interesting adventure following that history.  From the
commits I could only identify the Navigraph copyrighted files, which
used to consist of many, many more navigation and chart files in the
EFB (Electronic Flight Bag).  But these have now all been cleaned out.
Unfortunately there was a large period at the start which was not
version controlled.  I tried to contact Narendran Muraleedharan
(a.k.a. Omega95 on the forum, I guess) about the files he added in
this period, but did not receive a response.  So I manually checked
all the files, and two things stood out:

- ./Models/Instruments/world-map-8192.jpg and ./EFB-DB/world-map.jpg:
I traced these back to the NASA Blue Marble, specifically this one:
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=57752 .  So these are public
domain assets.  Maybe a Debian formatted, machine parsable 'AUTHORS'
file would be useful to quickly identify these non-copyrighted files
(e.g. https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/899/tree/trunk/Aircraft/B-1B/AUTHORS
).

- ./Models/Ground/Services:  I cannot trace the graphics in these
folders, but I would guess that these are fine.

Anyway, maybe all of this content is more suited for FGData than for
FGAddon.  The hi-res public domain world maps and ground equipment is
not in any way aircraft specific.

Regards,

Edward