List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: JAVA applets connecting to "servlets"...
From:       Bob Beck <beck () obtuse ! com>
Date:       1997-07-17 13:51:48

> Hi,
>
> Suppose we have a firewall with proxies only and which let no IP traffic
> through.
> What alternatives should be considerred to make applets running inside
> to be able to connect to their respective servlet (if any) on the host
> they come from (outside the FW, of course) ? (let's assume the applets
> are authentified thank's to some signature mechanism).
>
> Are there specialized JAVA libraries aware of some tcp relay to contact
> if the destination IP address is outside the local domain/firewall ?
> Is there a well known port reserved for that ?
>
> Any other alternative ?

	Sure, if you're running a transparent proxy, have a transparent
outbound pass-through proxy for any source port to the machine the servelets
are running on, or in general to any. If you are going to allow a
"tcp relay to contact if the destination is outside the firewall", you might
as well do it this way, then there's no special changes.

	-Bob