List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: ICMP Class 9; Code 0 in FW-1 Logs??
From:       Chris Lonvick <clonvick () cisco ! com>
Date:       1997-02-01 0:08:29

Hi Mark,

Slap a sniffer on the wire and see if it's ICMP Type 9 Code 0.
This is described in RFC-1256 as the ICMP Router Discovery Message.
If so, then you have a router out there sending IRDP advertisements.
It was intended to provide hosts with the IP addresses of their
neighboring routers.  This is a good idea for dropping a host into
a network and getting it to work right away.

This is a bad idea for a firewall - which is why yours is ignoring it.

Hope this helps,

Chris Lonvick
Cisco Systems
Consulting Engineering