List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: [NTSEC] ActiveX, MSIE and Quicken
From:       "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark ! net>
Date:       1997-01-31 10:04:43

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Russ wrote:

> Wait a second. Why should this exploit be treated any differently than
> any other misconfiguration exploit? Why is the fact that someone
> downloaded an application from an unknown untrusted vendor and found it
> to be malicious a condemnation of ActiveX?

Because ActiveX has a flawed trust model.

> 1. If the default IE implementation existed on the exploited machine,
> they were informed of the company name who signed the certificate, and
> were asked to confirm acceptance of the object. In which case, they
> chose to trust an untrustworthy company, why is that the fault of
> Activex?

1. There is no way to revoke certificates, just wait until someone
   gets hold of Microsoft's certificate.  Without some sort of
   verification at the CA, having a CA is pure fluff.  Yeah,
   Microsoft can bury a new certificate in an update, but everyone
   can't do that.  Without CA verification, there's no way to know
   who's certificates have been compromised.

2. Once accepted, the object is usable from any site, not
   simply the one from which it came.  There's a significant
   lack of granularity to the whole process.  One certificate
   for the whole of most companies?  No user-defined time limits
   on them?  No

3. 'After the fact' damage control is nowhere near as good as
   before the fact protection.  Knowing who's certificate it was
   basically doesn't do *anything* for you.  All the certificate holder
   has to do is say "some evil hacker broke in and copied my certificate".

   I asked Microsoft if they'd take direct financial responsibility
   _not_ for the flawed trust model, but for misuse of any objects
   signed by their certificate.  No answer.  Being able to finger
   point to a certain certificate doesn't give you *any* protection,
   or remediation.  If Microsoft's certificate were compromised,
   would you all of a sudden stop accepting everything from them?
   Do you have any idea of how their certificate is managed?  Ok,
   now extend that to 100 different software vendors.  See, there
   _is_ a problem here, and the fact that Microsoft won't address
   the inherent flaws is *bad*.  The best I've gotten from them
   was to the effect of "Well, plug-ins are bad too."

> 2. If they previously had told IE to accept all signed certificates,
> then they chose to leave their machine wide open, again, why is that
> ActiveX's fault?

   Because it doesn't adequately protect the novice user.  The same
   people who tout 'easy to use' are now asking several thousand of my
   users to understand how to extend trust to my internal network.  This is
   ridiculous.  Not that long ago, you were saying that you thought that
   there was too much complexity, and keeping up to do in the world of
   firewalls for folks who weren't full-time security people, well,
   I don't think we need the same level of complexity for web browsing.

   It's bad enough enforcing good password rules, now my stock clerk has to
   know what sites to accept certificates from?

   I for one am *very* glad there exist ActiveX blockers.

> As we always say about Firewalls, if the user chooses to ignore or be
> ignorant of the risks of the configuration their using, nothing can
> protect them.

   As we always say about firewalls, it doesn't matter how 'neat' an
   appliaction is, if the design is flawed, it shouldn't be allowed.

Paul