List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Internal Modems w/ Lotus Notes
From:       Kevin McPeake <cowboy () dns ! byelex ! nl>
Date:       1997-01-31 19:06:01

Okay, I've been scanning these modem issue posts with some intensity, but
I've yet to see anything that relates to our particular configuration.

I know this isn't directly involved with firewalls, but it's not
completely out of range of them either.

We have the following configuration:

POTS =====Modems ====== WindowsNT4.0
                      Notes Server 4.5

             Unix |          |
            Win95 |    Internal Network
        Macintosh |====== TCP/IP  IPX
  Client Desktops |          |
                          Firewall

                           router

                         Internet

I've heard lots of things about RAS and other issues with Modems on a
WindowsNT server (and other OS's). But we do not use RAS, and the modems
are not configured in WinNT.  The only thing that knows about them is the
Notes Server.

Only one other person is allowed to have a modem who is on the network,
and they run Win95 with a standard comm term program.

What I want to know is what risks, if any are we looking at here from
the outside Network (Internet) and what can I do to convince my managers
to take the appropriate action?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Kev

         BYELEX BV     Kevin McPeake
  Hulstkamp Gebouw     Internet Consultant
      Maaskade 119     kmpeake@byelex.nl
 3071 NK Rotterdam     kevin@mcpeake.org