List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Virus Scan....
From:       David Kozinn <david () mony ! com>
Date:       1997-01-31 10:59:51

Cihan Subasi said:

>      And how WebShield will work? In the documents it is said that the
> product is "Completely Transparent and cannot be bypassed by users" anybody
> has any idea about those issues?

What happens is that WebShield sits between your firewall (or exterior
router) and your internal network. It has two network cards, but instead of
routing it acts as a bridge. It does seem to be essentially invisible.

However: We've run into some issues regarding it's use with FTP, and we're
trying to find someone at McAfee who can give us some answers. Test it
thoroughly and decide if you want to use it.

And yes, there are all kinds of email attachments that it can't decode to
detect virii. Our client wants us to implement it anyway, and hopefully
they understand that this will _assist_ in preventing virus infections, not
provide 100% protection.
--
David Kozinn                   dkozinn@csc.com
Computer Sciences Corporation