List:       firewall-1
Subject:    [FW1] local.arp
From:       donm () advent ! org
Date:       1999-03-31 23:04:28

I am running FW1 v4.0 SP1 (Build 4031) on NT4 SP4.  I have created the
local.arp file in the /fw1/state/ directory, but it still does not seem to
work as advertised.  I have three IP addresses that I want the external
interface to answer for besides it's own IP address.  I have the appropriate
rules setup for NAT etc., but the only way to get the external interface to
answer those IP addresses is to manually add the addresses to the arp table
with an "arp -s x.x.x.x xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx".

I cannot find exactly what I am looking for.  I saw something a few weeks
ago about the format of the local.arp file, but cannot find it now.

My local.arp looks like this:

x.x.x.4	xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7F
x.x.x.40	xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7F
x.x.x.41	xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7F

Is the format of this correct?  If so, why does it not work?  If not
correct, what should it be?  Or is this just another bug in the NT version
of FW1 V4.0..

To work around this problem for now, I am just using a startup script that
adds the arp -s entries after boot so I do not have to enter them by hand.
By the way I did find some info on www.phoneboy.com, but I did not find a
reference that stated the exact format of the local.arp file on NT (I would
make the assumption that it should be the same format on all operating
systems, but we all know that assumption is the mother of all screw-ups!.

Any help fixing this would be greatly appreciated!

Don Moore
Network Administrator
Advent Enterprises, Inc.
donm@advent.org