List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Re: Opening Red Hat Magazine
From:       "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade () redhat ! com>
Date:       2008-09-25 19:37:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:48 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> ... this exact
> same conversation could have been had 6 months ago, and I wondered
> where everyone was then. In fact, 6 months ago we had a test instance
> of Lyceum set up on Fedora's infrastructure that could have been
> turned into a production instance, but there were not enough willing
> testers.

You are experiencing "the Fedora participation effect."  It is akin to
what happens in other FLOSS projects, combined with a savvy yet slower
moving corporate best buddy that throws our orbit into a warble.  Two
points:

* Idea work need not be lost, it can be turned in to compost that feeds
the next round of ideas in to fruition.

* Critical mass is elusive, you cannot predict when it happens, and then
you are in the middle of it. :)

Be assured, all of the ideas and work are not loss, it was an important
part of getting to critical mass.

- Karsten
--=20
Karsten Wade, Community Gardener