List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Printer drivers and raw queues are deprecated
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-10-31 17:27:31

On Tue, 2023-10-31 at 11:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Clearly there is a driver involved. I think the term just means that no
> additional driver is required. Note that Microsoft recently announced
> that future versions of Windows (IIRC) would not support manufacturer-
> provided drivers, so there appears to be an industry move in this
> direction.

Which, we'd hope would be a good thing...

Instead of each printer having a specific driver to mangle the data
into their idea of how printing should be done, to suit their specific
model of printer, and would only work on operating systems that a
driver had been written for, printers would have to accept data sent to
them in a standard manner by any operating system.

Of course we all know how well Microsoft and standards go together.

They're not alone in that crapfest.  My HP laser printer claims that
you can print a PDF directly.  Just go up to the printer with a PDF on
a USB stick, insert it, and go through some menus to print a local
file.  Print a file without a LAN, perhaps directly print the manual
that came some gadget you bought.  Except that when you get into
debugging why this doesn't actually work, it has to be a specially
created PDF file by their own software.  Bastards!

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11 16:51:53
UTC 2023 x86_64