List:       fedora-list
Subject:    EarlyOOM and hibernation resume
From:       Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-10-20 9:53:55

This is weird.

If I hibernate my system manually by calling 'systemctl hibernate', I
can resume without problems even if I leave everything powered down for
90 minutes.

If I do it via a crontab call it fails even when the hibernation time
is under an hour (also when it's several hours).

"Failure" consists of the system being alive, but with nothing on the
screen. I can switch to a text console and verify that my previously
running session is not running, that graphical.target IS running
(loaded and active), and that the display manager (SDDM or GDM), plus
Plasma, plus Kwin, are all listed by 'pgrep -fl ' as 'earlyoom'.

I have ample swap (48GB plus zram for a 16GB RAM setup) and have never
seen the EarlyOOM situation while actively using the system.

I've no idea what's going on here or how to diagnose it.

poc