List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: DMARC and SPF and DKIM, oh, my!
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-05-10 19:49:38

Tim:
>> The list server should, of course, be taking anti-spam efforts of
>> its own (only allowed authorised members to post through it).

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Just on that point, policies vary:
>
> 1) Block unsubscribed users
> 2) Allow unsubscribed users
> 3) Hold unsubscribed users for moderation
>
> I think the Fedora list currently has (2).

I wouldn't have thought so, or we'd be inundated with spam.

As it is, we seem to get just the odd one or two.  I suspect they
subscribe, bide their time, then post it.

That, or they simply read the list and copy some poster's address and
fraudulently post as them.  Of course, if other anti-spam techniques
only accept mail from a user from their own mail servers, that ought to
stop that approach.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.14-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May  1 00:54:35
UTC 2023 x86_64