List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: whence USB 2?
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-05-10 19:44:33

On Wed, 2023-05-10 at 09:55 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> BTW whatever happened to the B connectors?

I always found them the most unreliable of the lot.  And that surprised
me, I thought the miniature ones would be the worst.

I found them to be a very sloppy fit, and relying on the sprung tangs
of bent metal hold them into place.  But the metal didn't retain its
shape and would bend back and go slack.

This was on things like printers, hard drive enclosures, external audio
equipment - devices that just sat there without being plugged and
unplugged.

The idea of the USB-C plug that fits either way is good.  How many
times have we tried to plug a USB-A in and it won't go, so you turn it
around and it still won't go in, then you turn it around again and
finally it goes in?

I end up marking the tops of my USB-A plugs so I've got a fighting
chance of plugging them in first go, but that doesn't help with
sideways 90 ° rotated sockets.  You're never quite sure which way they
face, particularly when you're reaching around trying to plug something
into the back of equipment.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.14-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May  1 00:54:35
UTC 2023 x86_64