List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: whence USB 2?
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-05-09 6:16:23

On 5/8/23, Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> As I cannot use my chromebook, grrrr, I've been looking for a lpatop.
> It seems that nothing connects to USB 2.
> They might have 3 to 17 USB C connectors,
> but I have abolutely nothing that can use those.
> I get it.
> USB 4 is the latest and greatest and only uses C connectors.
> Why no connectors for USB 2 at all?

USB numbers refer to the signaling/speed over the wire, USB letters
refer to the shape and size of the port. While USB 4 can only be used
with the new USB-C ports, USB 3 could be used with either shape. The
only way the USB Implementers Forum could have made it more confusing
is if they used cuneiform. At any rate, you are looking for USB-A
shaped ports.

The Lenovo Legion 5 was the only current laptop I could find with 4
USB-A ports: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/c/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series

If you can settle for 3 there are options from just about every manufacturer.

Also, you can get cables with the old USB-B printer/scanner peripheral
plug on one end and the new USB-C computer plug on the other end, to
free up one of those USB-A ports for your flash drives or other
devices with unreplaceable cables. You don't need new devices that
understand USB-C or converter boxes because the signal over the wire
is backward-compatible.