List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: rescue mode needs rescuing!
From:       "George N. White III" <gnwiii () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-03-18 14:14:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 09:51, John Mellor <john.mellor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something keeps bugging me about what you described as symptoms. You
> stated that you started getting overheat warnings when you ran the old
> recovery kernel, and shut it down.  That should never happen unless the
> machine was not correctly built.
>
> I suspect that either the processor or video card cooling fins are
> plugged with dust, or that the heat transfer goop on the top of the
> processor has dried out and you are not transferring enough heat away
> when under load.
>
> Can you (a) blow out the cooling fins, and if that does not resolve the
> issue, (b) pop off the cooler and renew the Arctic Silver interface goop?

The OP says the system is clean inside, but his particular machine's power
management is weird -- I mentioned this with a link in a previous response.
Given the age of the machine, it would not be surprising if linux hacks for
power management on his machine are broken or disabled in recent
kernels.

--
George N. White III