List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: strange issues on F28
From:       stan <stanl-fedorauser () vfemail ! net>
Date:       2018-11-26 20:31:26

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:49:31 -0800
Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:

Some help, though these are hard to diagnose with just what is here.

> 1)  When I rebooted the laptop this morning it failed to boot and
> dropped into emergency mode.  Looking at the logs I see at lot of
> these messages:
>
> systemd-udevd[610]: could not find module by name='i2c_i801'
> systemd-udevd[612]: could not find module by name='lpc_ich'
> The system boots fine on 4.18.18-200.fc28.x86_64
>
> The other system is running 4.19.2-200.fc28.x86_64 without issues.

This seems like a initramfs problem, the kernel is unable to find
modules it needs.  Is it possible the disk is having problems?

> 2)  When I view a video with chrome I get no sound, but the same
> video played on firefox has sound.

This has to be a setting, either a permissions problem, or a muted
output.

> 3)  When I run pavucontrol the configuration shows 2 entries for
> built in audio.  It shows "Digital Stereo (HDMI) OUtput" for one and
> "Analog Stereo Duplex" for the other.  Under "Output Devices" it
> shows "HDMI/Display Port (plugged in)" and "Speakers".  The only
> thing I have plugged into the HDMI port is my monitor so I don't why
> it should show up here since it has no speakers.  The strange
> behavior I'm seeing is that I will turn the HDMI configuration off,
> but some time later it's been turned back on.

Video cards are identified by alsa as hd-intel audio output devices
because of their nature.  You should make the analog device the default
device in pavucontrol.

Try the command
alsamixer -c 1
to see what is happening with the analog device.

> 4)  I still can't get chrome to work on the desktop.  If I connect to
> non https sites chrome connects fine, but connecting to https sites
> results in "Your connection is not private" messages.  This has been
> going on now for over a week.

No idea on this.  Sounds like either a missing library, or a
permissions or setting problem.

> Anyone else seeing any of these issues?

No.