List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Re: Mass rebuild: git push --no-verify
From:       kevin <kevin () scrye ! com>
Date:       2024-01-18 20:11:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 08:24:38PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:

> If, hypothetically, a defect in the mass-rebuild script would corrupt
> thousands of spec files, how easy would it be to write a mass-revert
> script to repair the damage? The mass-revert script shouldn't just
> revert the latest commit in every package, because the corruption might
> not have happened in every package, and some might have been reverted
> manually in the meantime. The mass-revert script would need to verify
> that it reverts only commits done by the defective mass-rebuild script.
>
> If that's nontrivial to get right, then it seems to me that there is
> value in a hook that validates changes made by a script.

That seems pretty hypothetical.

The pre-push check simply looks at the sources/patches defineed in the
spec and checks them against the sources file. The mass rebuild script
only uses rpmdev-bumpspec, which should only change the release and add
a changelog entry (or even less if the spec is using rpmautospec).

Should these font packages get fixed? Absolutely.
But I think doing no-verify helps us because we will track more of those
packages that were simply skipped. I think it's better to not skip them
and have them fail than ignore them.

kevin