List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Restricting automounting of uncommon filesystems?
From:       Lennart Poettering <mzerqung () 0pointer ! de>
Date:       2023-08-07 11:17:05

On Sa, 22.07.23 07:01, Matthew Garrett (mjg59@srcf.ucam.org) wrote:

> A discussion within Debian again brought up the problem that:
>
> 1) Automounting of removable media exposes the kernel to a lot of
> untrusted input
> 2) Kernel upstream are not terribly concerned with ensuring that kernel
> filesystems are resilient against deliberately malformed filesystems so
> are mostly not proactively looking for bugs there
> 3) Uncommonly used filesystems are less likely to be tested against
> adverse input in the real world and so are more likely to contain
> exploitable bugs
>
> There are various cases where people do need to make use of uncommon
> filesystems, but the majority of them aren't related to removable media.
> udisks2 supports setting the UDISKS_AUTO variable to 0 on devices that
> shouldn't be automounted, which means something like:
>
> SUBSYSTEM!="block", GOTO="udisks_insecure_fs_end"
> ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="hfs", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"
> # repeat as necessary for anything else that shouldn't be automounted
> LABEL="udisks_insecure_fs_end"

I am not convinced that the udev db is really a great place for such
configuration that is not really related to devices itself, but more
about local policy decisions.

What I think is important to keep in mind is that /bin/mount doesn't
check the udev db (and probably shouldn't) when determining the fstype
to mount when using "-t auto" (which is implied if -t is omitted). I
think it would make sense to devise a mechanism that automatic
mounting for removable disks is covered the same way as "mount -t
auto" by such an allowlist of fstypes.

My preferred mechanism to implement what you are asking for is what
I proposed here:

https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1969

And as it turns out Karel actually implemented this recently, see
https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/commit/1592425a0a1472db3168cd9247f001d7c5dd84b6.

I think it would be a good idea to build on that, i.e. make udisks
just set that mount option to a useful allowlist, and then be done
with it?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin