List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: drop delta rpms (for real this time)
From:       Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-03-03 12:54:42

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 7:06 AM Geraldo Simião Kutz
<geraldo.simiao.kutz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Testing F38 KDE spin today, I see this:
> Delta RPMs reduced 235.2 MB to 23.8 MB (89.9%)
>
> So, it seems we do still have some cornercases when deltaRPM shows its value.

Not really. That's local dis, but the aggregate burden of regularly
downloading additional repodata exceeds that pretty quickly in
environments that do daily update audits.

> But, ok, In agree that in most cases it's irrelevant this days.
> +1 for dropping deltarpm
>
> geraldosimiao

It's a complex feature to support, we're not scrambling for slivers of
disk space these days, and maintaining all the deltas grows very
quickly for environments that, in theory, no longer have point
releases to use as references for deltarpm.