List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       Dan =?utf-8?B?xIxlcm3DoWs=?= <dan.cermak () cgc-instruments ! com>
Date:       2021-10-17 20:05:13

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 3:36 PM Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:01 PM Kevin Kofler via devel \
> > <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > I still remember how Red Hat Linux and (IIRC) Fedora Core 1 could be booted
> > > from a floppy (older Red Hat Linux releases even had a fully functioning
> > > rescue mode on the floppy, later ones could at least still boot a HDD
> > > install from the boot floppy, which is how I installed them, and in that way
> > > also boot the rescue mode). These days, the minimum boot image (know known
> > > as the netinst ISO) barely fits on a CD, and in Fedora 33 even exceeded CD
> > > size (https://pagure.io/minimization/issue/23). The Fedora 34 netinst image
> > > is still 450 times the size of a floppy!
> >

> > The top two reasons for this: a significant portion of anaconda used to be \
> > downloaded, and now is included on the media; linux-firmware bloat, which is the \
> > fastest growing package for the past few years. Front this point there's a bunch \
> > of pressure points and trade-offs. This cycle we were over CD-ROM size of 700MiB, \
> > and ended up trimming out about 30M from linux-firmware.
> > --
> > Chris Murphy
>
> It's also X based with GUI's, rather than an ncurses based graphical
> interface. Reviewing a fresh install, there is little to nothing that
> couldn't be done in a much, much smaller text interface going through
> a linear checklist with ncurses, and follow Eric Raymond's old
> guidelines for open source interfaces titled "The Luxury of
> Ignorance". But some folks like pretty GUIs, even though sophisticated
> GUI's cost resources to run.

They are also much more intuitive to use for your average user/ newcomer
to Linux in contrast to a text interface (which will put them off when
compared to the Windows or Ubuntu installer). Yes, a text interface is
much more resource friendly, but imho that will cause more harm than
actual benefit.

Cheers,

Dan