List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2021-10-17 19:36:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:01 PM Kevin Kofler via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I still remember how Red Hat Linux and (IIRC) Fedora Core 1 could be
> booted
> from a floppy (older Red Hat Linux releases even had a fully functioning
> rescue mode on the floppy, later ones could at least still boot a HDD
> install from the boot floppy, which is how I installed them, and in that
> way
> also boot the rescue mode). These days, the minimum boot image (know known
> as the netinst ISO) barely fits on a CD, and in Fedora 33 even exceeded CD
> size (https://pagure.io/minimization/issue/23). The Fedora 34 netinst
> image
> is still 450 times the size of a floppy!

The top two reasons for this: a significant portion of anaconda used to be
downloaded, and now is included on the media; linux-firmware bloat, which
is the fastest growing package for the past few years. Front this point
there's a bunch of pressure points and trade-offs. This cycle we were over
CD-ROM size of 700MiB, and ended up trimming out about 30M from
linux-firmware.

--
Chris Murphy