List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release
From:       José_Abílio Matos <jamatos () fc ! up ! pt>
Date:       2021-03-23 8:54:14

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:40:11 AM WET Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Please keep in mind that Linus Torvalds himself announced his project with
> the words: "It is NOT protable" [sic] "(uses 386 task switching etc),". [1]
> The portability came much later, after major changes (such as rewriting
> assembly code in C or making it selectable by platform). So it is not fair
> to blame the FSF for not believing in the portability of Linux (the kernel)
> at the very beginning. Nobody did, not even Linus himself.
>
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.minix/c/dlNtH7RRrGA/m/SwRavCzVE7gJ?pli=
> 1
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Yes, but by 1994 when linux was ported to the DEC Alpha you could see that
things were changing. So the much later is not much later than that. :-)

I have fond memories of one of those machines where running Linux there made
all the difference. :-)

The only issue that we had was that with linux 2 the network driver, a Tulip,
was removed from the kernel. OK, I could have swapped the network driver, but
by that time it was not worth anymore. :-)

--
José Abílio