List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release
From:       Kevin Kofler via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2021-03-23 1:40:11

José Abílio Matos wrote:
> And there it says:
> """
> The Free Software Foundation was initially sceptical of the capabilities
> of Linux as a portable operating system. Initial versions only ran on the
> IBM 386. According to Stallman: "We heard that Linux was not at all
> portable (this may not be true today, but that's what we heard then). And
> we heard that Linux was architecturally on a par with the Unix kernel; our
> work was leading to something much more powerful".
> """

Please keep in mind that Linus Torvalds himself announced his project with
the words: "It is NOT protable" [sic] "(uses 386 task switching etc),". [1]
The portability came much later, after major changes (such as rewriting
assembly code in C or making it selectable by platform). So it is not fair
to blame the FSF for not believing in the portability of Linux (the kernel)
at the very beginning. Nobody did, not even Linus himself.

[1] https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.minix/c/dlNtH7RRrGA/m/SwRavCzVE7gJ?pli=1

        Kevin Kofler