List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved
From:       "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2020-08-29 4:59:42

On Friday, August 28, 2020 9:55:18 PM MST drago01 wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2020, John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@splentity.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Monday, August 10, 2020 9:52:42 AM MST Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> > > We agreed to go with this approach. /etc/resolv.conf will be moved to
> > > /etc/resolv.conf.orig-with-nm on upgrade to F33 if the 'Generated by
> > > NetworkManager' comment is present. If you've gone to the trouble to
> > > prevent NetworkManager from managing this file, it's likely you've also
> > > removed the comment. If not, you can either remove the comment before
> > > upgrade, or recover your previous configuration from the
> > > /etc/resolv.conf.orig-with-nm backup file after upgrade, and hopefully
> > > have only a small blip in your upgrade experience. This will make the
> > > upgrade work properly for the 99% of users who don't mess with the
> > > defaults and should not be too difficult for those who do.
> >
> > That comment being there doesn't mean that is still the case. I haven't
> > removed that comment, I just fixed the file. It would be best to just not
> > mess
> > with this file on upgrade, and, instead, change the behavior of new
> > installs.
> > This wouldn't break anything, and would have all newly installed systems
> > with
> > the configuration you seem to want.
> >
> > There's no reason to break peoples' systems here, we can easily plan for
> > this.
> > I also don't know where you're getting this estimate of 99% of users not
> > changing this file.
>
> People expect to get the new features on upgrades without having to
> reinstall.

This isn't a new feature, it's breaking existing functionality.

> There is no reason to upgrades differently - if you have customized
> configuration you should be reading the changes before doing an upgrade.

The major reason that we've had different functionality on upgrade in the past
is precisely what I described: to prevent needlessly breaking the users'
systems. Regardless of the changes coming, updating should never break your
system, especially when it's easily avoided, as it is in this case.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.