List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       David Kaufmann <astra () ionic ! at>
Date:       2020-05-13 11:17:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 12:44:44PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> The rules you propose there lead to the ridiculous effect that people who
> want to astain will instead actually leave the meeting […]

Yes, true, that could happen. Thats a good thought.

> The whole definition of an abstention or recusal is "my vote should not
> matter". If we do not want to allow this kind of abstentions, then we need
> to not allow abstentions at all and require people to vote -1 instead.
> Recording a 0 and actually treating it exactly like a -1 does not make
> sense.

Having abstentions can still be used for signalling that in future the
change could be ok - if it is interpreted as: 0 = Currently I can't say, that
this should go through for $reason, -1 = This should not go through, and
this will not change)

If abstentions would lower the necessary +1 votes, this would
automatically give the author of a proposal a +1 vote for the proposal,
depending on the author being in FESCo himself/herself.

I think finally it boils down to the question, if it should be a bar
that should be reached / "at least x people are in favor" or if it
should be a majority vote / "more people in favor than against"

All the best,
David