List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-05-13 10:54:44

Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> The proposal has at least support of its owners, who stepped in and
> spent some time describing the idea.
>
> If there are no convincing reasons against this proposal, then it is
> their opinion, which matters. They have an idea, and they are willing
> to do the job and take the responsibility.
> I don't see the reason to block it then.

The problem is that "convincing" is very subjective and arguable.

I have several reasons against ELN, which I have already stated for past
versions of your proposal (Should I really have repeated those at every
single revised version that you came up with to bypass the repeated
rejection?):
* Having a buildroot that drops support for some subarchitectures is a step
  towards dropping those subarchitectures for everyone, which is exactly
  what we do not want. There is absolutely no reason to test dropping
  subarchitectures anywhere if we are not going to deploy it ever.
* Having a buildroot called "EL Next" means that Fedora gets in the business
  of composing the development version of RHEL in addition to the
  development version of Fedora. I do not see how this is the job of Fedora
  and Fedora maintainers. RHEL should be developed on RHEL infrastructure,
  by RHEL maintainers only.

But apparently you do not consider those "convincing".

I also think that there needs to be a limit to how many times a rejected
change gets resubmitted. It is just not acceptable to retry and retry until
the vote ends up the way you want it to.

        Kevin Kofler