List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Build Python 3 to statically link with libpython3.8.a for
From:       Miro_Hrončok <mhroncok () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-11-14 10:18:44

On 14. 11. 19 2:48, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 11/12/19 2:21 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>> However, I believe there's a third option here. It could be as simple as
>> providing a python3-static in addition, and NOT using `alternatives`.
>

> Is that an option, though?  From the discussion, I was under the impression that
> static vs dynamic python affected whether or not python extensions need to be
> linked to libpython*.*m.so.  I'm unclear on that, though because I see some
> modules today that aren't linked to that library, though most of the ones I
> checked are.

Currently (python3.8 executable uses dynamic libpython3.8.so):

  - extension modules are not linked to libpython3.8.so by default
  - extension modules linked to libpython3.8.so (by cmake etc.) work just fine

After the change (python3.8 executable is "fat" and contains everything):

  - extension modules are not linked to libpython3.8.so by default
  - extension modules linked to libpython3.8.so (by cmake etc.) might blow up

The extra "python3-static" thing mimics the second behavior, so:

  - extension modules are not linked to libpython3.8.so by default
  - extension modules linked to libpython3.8.so (by cmake etc.):
      - work just fine with "default" python
      - might blow up with "python3-static" python

--
Miro Hrončok