List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories
From:       Przemek Klosowski via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2019-09-10 19:41:14

On 9/10/19 7:55 AM, vvs vvs wrote:
> Did I? I thought that I've said that I'm using x86_64 kernel right now and that I \
> have my memory stretched to the limits already.
> But yes, I've experimented with x86_64 userland some time ago, I don't remember \
> exact numbers but I think that I've lost 100-200 MB of memory. And I have not much \
> time to experiment every time something have changed.
> You are right that I can reduce memory footprint by carefully tuning my system. But \
> that's what I've already did and Fedora breaks it just too often. I'm used to work \
> without GNOME on my other computer that have only 32-bit CPU. But it started to be \
> very painful to upgrade to newer Fedora releases. So, when I've got 64-bit computer \
> I've just went with the flow and don't customize parts I'm not really interested \
> in. I want to spend on it as little time as possible. Going for my own Linux from \
> scratch is just not viable.

Wait---so you are using 32-bit Gnome on a 64-bit capable CPU running
64-bit kernel? If the reason is to save 200MB of memory, you should
definitely try one of the memory-thrifty desktop environments like xfce.

You also said that you're running a memory-hungry non-Fedora
application, which you presumably compile yourself.

Therefore, it looks to me that you should try a 64-bit Fedora with a
memory-saving xfce, install a 32-bit GCC toolchain and compile your app
in 32-bit mode.