List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update
From:       Panu Matilainen <pmatilai () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-07-30 9:18:12

On 7/22/19 9:51 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:

> After preliminary discussions with CPU vendors, we propose AVX2 as the
> new baseline.  AVX2 support was introduced into CPUs from 2013 to
> 2015. See [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#CPUs_with_AVX2
> CPUs with AVX2].

This proposal seems mostly like an experiment in disguise to find out
whether the Fedora developers can agree on *something*, and quite
clearly the answer is yes, at least this once we can all agree to
disagree with the proposed change.

For the record, none of the ~10 computers at my house, including my
current work laptop, support AVX2. Such a change would force me to move
the entire family away from Fedora, and would be "interesting" to try
develop rpm on, say, Debian. Would make for some catchy headlines though ;)

	- Panu -